Patch 0.211.7 – Crossplay!
September 29, 2022
Hello and welcome to the Crossplay patch!
This patch marks the release of Valheim on the Microsoft Store and to PC Game Pass – it includes full crossplay support, which means that you can play with any other Valheim player, no matter where they’re playing from. If you just got the game through PC Game Pass, you’ll be able to have your Valheim veteran friends from Steam join you so that they can show you the ropes. And if you’ve been playing the game on Steam for a long time, you can easily invite your friends who just got the game on the Microsoft Store and show them all your cool buildings!
Our friends at Piktiv have worked hard to make sure the game looks and feels the same regardless of what platform you’re using, but the patch does entail a minor change to the GUI in the starting menu in order to make other people’s worlds as smooth as possible. If you’re playing as a Steam player with other Steam players, it will work just the same as before (with the addition of now being able to mark a server as favourite). If one or more players are playing from a different platform, there will instead be a join code that you can use in order to enter the game.
Dedicated server hosts will need to enable crossplay if they want non-Steam players to be able to join, and the dedicated servers will then be joinable both with the regular IP address, and with the new join codes.
As always, make sure your game has the same patch version as your friends’, or else connecting to each other might not work. You’ll find the version number in the bottom right corner of your main menu screen.
Detailed patch notes:
* Crossplay support added
* ‘Manage saves’ GUI added so that it’s easier for players to restore/remove saves & backups
* Minor network optimization for in-game hosting (Less demanding for the host when other players are in the game at the same time)
* ‘Join Game’ tab has been updated. Players can now add favourite servers, and see if a server is running, and if they support crossplay or not.**
* Players can now use the parameter ‘-crossplay’ while running Dedicated servers to support crossplay. When using this parameter, the backend will be running Playfab instead of Steamworks. (A ‘Join code’ will appear when you join a Dedicated server supporting crossplay. Players can use this code to join the server. This Join code is regenerated whenever the server is restarted.)
* A new branch, "default_old", has been added, where you can play on the previous Steam version of the game in case your server hasn't been updated yet (Steam might need a restart for the branch to show up)
**A question mark indicates that a server status is uncertain, while a red X indicates that the server is down. If there is a “shuffle” icon next to the server status, that means the server supports crossplay.
If you’d like to discuss the content of this post, please visit our Discord, or our forums on Reddit and Steam, or make a comment on social media!